Sweet Potato Stuffing with Sausage and Kale
1 lb. Pork Italian Sausage, casings removed and torn into pieces
6 Tbsp. Butter
2-3 Leeks, thinly sliced
2 C. Peeled, Cubed Sweet Potato
1 Bunch Italian Kale, spines removed, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 loaf Canyon Bakehouse Ancient Grain Bread, cubed
½-1 C. Small Cubed (1/2- inch) Fontina Cheese
1-2 C. Chicken Stock
1 Egg, whisked
½ C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×11 baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the sausage pieces. Once browned, transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 Tbsp. butter to the pan. Once melted, add the sliced leeks and sweet potato. Sauté the vegetables until softened.
- Add the kale to the vegetables and continue to sauté, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the remaining butter. Add the sautéed vegetables to the mixing bowl with the sausage and pour the melted butter on top.
- Add the cubed bread to the bowl and toss the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Add the cubed cheese, tucking it into the gaps.
- Whisk stock and egg together in a large liquid measuring cup and pour the mixture over the stuffing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the stuffing with a thin layer of parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and just browned.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 30 min