Sweet Cherry Pocket Pies
1/3 C. Apple Butter
1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Zest
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice, or to taste
2 C. Sweet Cherries, fresh or frozen
Cherry Pie Filling
Cherry Pie Filling (see above)
12 slices Canyon Bakehouse Country White Bread, crusts cut away
1 Egg, whisked
3 Tbsp. 1:1 Cinnamon and Sugar Blend
- Make the fruit compote. In a small saucepan, combine the apple butter, lemon juice and zest. Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
- Add the fruit and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes before transferring to a glass or metal bowl. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each crustless slice of bread to a thickness of ¼ inch.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of cherry pie filling in the center of each rolled bread slice.
- Bruch the perimeter of the bread with whisked egg and top with another slice of rolled bread.
- Press the edges of the bread slices together and crimp lightly with a fork. Using a chef’s knife, trim the edges.
- Place each pie on the prepared baking sheet. Coat both sides thinly with cooking spray and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar blend.
- Bake the pies for 20 minutes, until fully browned on top. Transfer them to a rack and allow them to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 20 min