Stuffed Bell Peppers
6 Bell Peppers
½ lb. Ground Beef
½ lb. Pork Sausage
½ White or Yellow Onion, diced
2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
½ C. Mushrooms, diced
¼ C. Sliced Black Olives
1 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided, plus more for garnish
1 C. Shredded Mozzarella, divided
½ C. Gluten-free Bread Crumbs, made from Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread*
½ tsp. Pepper
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Dried Basil
¼ tsp. Dried Oregano
¼ tsp. Dried Thyme
Chopped Parsley, for garnish (optional)
3 C. Marinara Sauce
*Note: To make bread crumbs, place about 6 slices of bread on a baking rack and set aside to dry overnight. Alternatively, place the bread on a baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees until dry. Grind them in a food processor or a blender to make crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish with foil.
- Cut the tops off of each bell pepper and remove the seeds. Keep the tops.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, half of the parmesan, herbs and seasonings.
- In a larger bowl, combine the ground beef, sausage, onion, garlic, mushrooms, olives and egg.
- Incorporate the bread crumb mixture, the meat mixture and half of the mozzarella.
- Scoop the incorporated meat mixture into the bell peppers and replace the tops.
- Stand the stuffed peppers upright in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the tops of the peppers and discard.
- Sprinkle the peppers and stuffing with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Place the peppers back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and just golden.
- Heat the marinara sauce in a saucepan over medium heat until bubbly.
- Serve the peppers upright with marinara over top. Sprinkle with more parmesan and chopped parsley as desired.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 50 min