Steak Sub Sandwiches with Chimichurri
1 lb. Flank Steak
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
1 Red Onion, cut into ½ inch rings
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Kosher Salt, to taste
Caramelized Red Onions
1/3 C. Olive Oil, more as needed
2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 Bunch Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
1 Jalapeno Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic
1 lb. Flank Steak, grilled and sliced thinly at an angle
4 Canyon Bakehouse Sub Rolls, toasted
Prepared Chipotle Mayo
Chimichurri (see above)
Caramelized Red Onions (see above)
- Dry the surface of the steak with a paper towel and coat generously with kosher salt and pepper. Allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the onion rings flat on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and gently flip to coat.
- Season with kosher salt and roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping half-way through.
- Once the onions are browned and crisp at the edges, remove from the oven and transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
- Prepare the grill. Cook the seasoned steak over medium-high heat until browned on both sides and tension can be felt in the center, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the chimichurri, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Allow the dressing to marinate for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the parsley, dice the jalapeno, and mince the garlic; combine in a bowl, season with kosher salt and toss with the dressing.
- Once the meat has rested and cooled, cut into ½- inch slices.
- Spread each toasted Sub Roll with chipotle aioli. Assemble the sandwiches with sliced steak, chimichurri and caramelized red onions to serve.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 40 min (includes meat resting time)