SAVORY FRENCH TOAST WITH WILD MUSHROOMS
½ C. Milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. Water
6 oz. Wild Mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp. Butter, plus more
1 Loaf Mountain White Bread
2 C. Finely Grated White Cheddar
4 Eggs, fried sunny-side-up
2 Scallions, finely chopped
- In a large frying pan, sauté the sliced mushrooms with water over medium heat until just softened.
- Slide the mushrooms toward the outside of the pan and melt the butter in the center.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds before incorporating the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and sauté until mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, herbs and seasonings.
- Place a griddle over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp. butter.
- Working one at a time, coat each slice of bread with the batter on both sides before adding to the skillet.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, flipping mid-way through, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the French toast with finely grated white cheddar and transfer to a plate.
- Assemble 2-3 slices of cheesy French toast on each plate and top with sautéed mushrooms.
- Top each serving with a fried egg and garnish with chopped scallions.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min