Steak and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
Here, caramelized onions add sweetness to juicy spice-rubbed flank steak, served on our Honey White Bread with stone ground mustard.
- ½ lb. Flank Steak
- 1 Onion, sliced in ¼ inch rings
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Stone Ground Mustard
- Arugula or Microgreens
- 4 slices Canyon Bakehouse Heritage Honey White Bread, toasted
- 2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp. Granulated Onion
- 1 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp. Dill Seeds (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the spice rub and set aside.
- Allow the steak to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before drying with a paper towel and applying the spice rub to all sides.
- Prepare the Grill.
- Cook the spice-rubbed steak to medium rare and allow it to rest before slicing.
- To caramelize the onions, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place the sliced onions in a thin layer on the bottom of the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add small amounts of water as needed to avoid sticking.
- Once the meat has rested and cooled slightly, cut into ½- inch slices.
- Make two sandwiches; assemble the meat, onions and arugula or microgreens between the toasted bread slices, spread with stone ground mustard.
Prep: 30 min
Cook: 25 min