Mac and Cheese Grilled Cheese with Jalapeno Peppers and Bacon
- 8 oz. Gluten-free Pasta (elbow, penne or rigatoni)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 C. Milk
- 8 oz. Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 lb. Bacon Strips, crispy
- 3 Jalapeño Peppers, sliced
- ½ Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Loaf Canyon Bakehouse Heritage Style Honey White Bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a glass baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta until just done, but still firm and drain. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan under a vent, heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil or leftover bacon grease. Sauté the jalapeno slices and diced red pepper over medium heat until softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in the milk.
- Add cheddar cheese to the saucepan. Whisking as the cheddar melts, add the cream cheese.
- Combine the pasta, peppers and cheese sauce.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly and golden.
- Allow the mac and cheese to rest for 1 hour. Cut into 8 squares.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to 350 degrees.
- Butter all of the bread slices on one side only.
- Place each of the mac & cheese squares between two slices of bread, buttered sides out.
- Grill each sandwich for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden.