Let's Taco 'Bout It Sammie
For this sandwich, we have provided you with recipes for several sauces and the corn fritters. If you are short on time, you could actually buy everything except for the corn fritters at most stores. There are >many excellent mango or black bean/mango salsas on the market. You can also find good quality and tasty guacamole and chipotle mayos at the store as well-regular and vegan ones.
BLACK BEAN MANGO SALSA
- 1 can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup mango diced into small chunks
- 1/2 of medium avocado, medium ripeness, chopped into small chunks
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced, 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped finely
- 1/3 cup purple onion chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 of a large jalapeño, deseeded and diced into very small pieces
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced
- 1/2 fresh lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 grinder turns of freshly ground black pepper(approx 1/4 tsp)
- 2-3 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 medium red onion, diced finely
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1 large garlic clove, well minced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped very finely(no seeds)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lime juiced, may need to add
- more after tasting
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 tsp of wheatgrass powder which adds a lot of vitamins and minerals and is cleansing to your
CHEEZY CHIPOTLE AIOLI
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews soaked in water for 2-4 hours 1/4 cup plain,unsweetened almond yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp good quality nutritional yeast 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp powdered turmeric
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 2 cracks black pepper
Drain cashews and pour into high speed blender. Add in all of the rest of the ingredients, starting with just 2 chipotle peppers and blend until smooth and creamy. If the consistency isn’t smooth enough after blending, you can add an additional tbsp of almond yogurt. If it isn’t spicy enough, you may wish to add a 3rd chipotle pepper.
JALAPENO CORN FRITTER
- 3/4 cup corn, fresh off the cob which is 1-1/2 cobs 1/3 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 1/2 flax egg( 1 1/2 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp of water) 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp finely minced green onion
- 1/2 of a large deseeded jalapeño, diced into small pieces 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced 5 tbsp gluten free corn meal
- *1/4 cup garbanzo flour
- 1/4 cup gf all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dairy free or reg cheese 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 pinches cayenne powder
This is a great way to use leftover corn from a previous meal! If you don’t have leftovers, then cook 1 1/2 ears of corn and cool. While you are waiting for corn to cook, dice zucchini, pepper, cilantro, green onion, jalapeño, and garlic clove. Put a frying pan on med low heat and coat well with cooking spray. Once your corn is ready to go, cut it off the cob and put into a mixing bowl Add in all of the other ingredients on the list. If you do not have garbanzo bean flour, you may simply sub in an equivalent amount of gluten free all purpose flour. Garbanzo bean flour is high in protein and has a good amount of fiber. You could also eliminate the all purpose flour and use all garbanzo bean flour instead. Mix everything well with a spoon. Taste and adjust any seasonings if you need to do so. Turn the heat on your pan up to medium. For this sandwich, we used 2 patties that were 1/4-1/3 cup each. Cook them for about 3 min each side until you
they are golden brown. They are wonderful by themselves topped with the Black Bean Salsa and the Cheesy Chipotle sauce above.
OTHER INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR YOUR SAMMIE:
-few pieces of lettuce
-1-2 tbsp of micro greens of your choice if you wish to add them -2 nice slices of red tomatoes/heirloom tomatoes
-1/4 -1/3 cup spinach leaves
-yellow pepper cut into thin 2 inches strips
-firm but ripe avocado shaved into slices
-purple cabbage slices or purple onion slices
TO ASSEMBLE SAMMIE:
Toast bread slices-You can do this by putting both slices into your toaster in the same slot if they fit so that the outside is toasty and the inside stays soft. It your toaster is not big enough, then lightly spray a cooking pan and toast only one side of each piece of bread.
On bottom piece of bread spread a little guacamole. You do not need a heavy layer as you don’t want it to ooze out of the bread.
Top with lettuce and if wish optional tablespoon or so of micro greens for added health benefit.
Top with Jalepeno Corn Fritters.
Add tomatoes slices.
Add a layer of spinach.
Using a slotted spoon to drain off excess liquid, top the spinach off with a little black bean mango salsa.
Add a layer of yellow pepper strips on top of the salsa.
Shave some avocado, which makes it much easier to eat than big chunks of avocado in a sandwich.
Top this all off with either thinly sliced purple cabbage or purple onion. If you choose the onion, you
can use the same technique you did with the salsa and guacamole to take the bite out of it. Just rinse
it for 30 sec in hot water and then 30 sec in cold water and dry off on a paper towel.
Spread Cheezy Chipotle Aioli on top piece of bread.
You may wish to wrap your sammie in parchment paper and put one or two sandwich picks/large
toothpicks through the middle to help hold the sammie together.
EAT & ENJOY!:)