POTATO KALE SOUP WITH CROSTINI AND SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO
¼ C. Butter
1 Yellow Onion, peeled and diced
4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed
Salt and Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
6 C. Chicken Broth
4 C. Baby Kale or Spinach
½ C. Half and half (optional)
3 Cloves Garlic
¼ C. Pine Nuts
1 C. Baby Kale or Spinach
1 C. Fresh Parsley
¼ C. Grated Parmesan Cheese, plus more for garnish
1/3 C. Olive Oil, more as needed
½ C. Sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
6 Slices Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread, Toasted
- Make the sun-dried tomato pesto in advance. Start by lightly toasting the garlic and pine nuts in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, tossing frequently until just golden.
- Place the toasted garlic and pine nuts in a food processor along with the baby kale or spinach, parsley and parmesan. Pulse to chop.
- Turn the food processor to low speed and slowly add the olive oil until a spreadable consistency is reached. Transfer the pesto to a bowl and set aside.
- Make the soup. Start by melting the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and potatoes to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the broth to the pot and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, add the baby kale or spinach to the pot and cook 1-2 minutes, until vibrant.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Taste for seasonings and add half and half, if desired. Keep warm over low heat.
- To make the crostini, place the bread slices on a baking sheet. Spread with the sun-dried tomato pesto and toast under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until the edges turn golden.
- Remove the crostini from the oven and sprinkle with additional parmesan as needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with crostini.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 45 min