Bread Bake with Butternut Squash Sausage and Kale
An essential brunch dish, made with eggs, comforting sausage, kale and seasonal butternut squash.
- 12 large eggs
- 2 C. Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ lb. Breakfast Sausage
- 1 Small Bunch Kale, stemmed, leaves chopped
- ½ Butternut Squash, peeled and chopped; lightly steamed
- 8 Slices Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread, cubed
- 8 oz. Fontina Cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x9 inch baking dish with butter.
- In a spouted mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, Dijon, salt and pepper..
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Transfer the sausage to a plate and retain the drippings.
- Add the prepared kale to the skillet. Cover and reduce the heat. Wilt for about 2-3 minutes, just until the leaves turn bright green.
- In the first of two layers, assemble the sausage, kale and steamed butternut squash in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with the grated fontina and repeat.
- Bake the dish for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Allow the dish to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Cook: 30 min