Jalapeno Chili with Cheese Toast
Warm up on the inside with a hearty and flavorful bowl of chili made with sausage, ground beef and jalapeno.
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 2 tsp. Thyme
- 2 tsp. Oregano
- ¾ lb. Ground Beef
- ¾ lb. Italian Sausage
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 2 Cans San Marzano Whole Tomatoes (36 oz.), coarsely chopped
- ¼ C. Fresh Parsley, plus more for toast garnish
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Sour Cream, for soup garnish
- Green Onion, chopped, for soup garnish
- 8 Slices Canyon Bakehouse 7 Grain Bread
- 1 C. Cheddar/Jack Cheese Blend
- Heat olive oil in a 5 qt. stock pot.
- Sauté diced onion, bell pepper and jalapeno until softened.
- Add herbs and spices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and sausage to the pot. Season meat with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce, breaking it up as it browns.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes and juice. Bring to a simmer.
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil or parchment and arrange the bread slices on top.
- Sprinkle each slice of bread with cheese and parsley.
- Place the cheese bread in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, until tops are melted and bubbly.
- Season chili with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add parsley just before serving.
- Ladle chili into serving bowls. Garnish with sour cream and chopped green onions as desired.