French Onion Soup
- ½ C. Soy-free, Vegan Butter Spread
- 4 Yellow Onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh thyme, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1-2 tsp. Sea Salt
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 6 C. Beef Stock
- 6 Slices Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread
- 6-8 oz. Gruyere, grated
- ½ C. Red Wine
- In a 5qt. stock pot, melt the soy-free, vegan butter spread over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent and caramelization has begun. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the thyme and arrowroot powder to the pot and stir the onions and garlic to coat. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine to deglaze the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-4 minutes before adding the stock and bay leaf.
- Bring the soup back to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Ladle into 6 small crocks or soup bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of Mountain White bread and grated gruyere. Sprinkle with additional thyme as desired.
- Place the crocks of soup on the baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes, until brown and bubbly on top. Allow to cool slightly before serving.