Au Gratin Potatoes with Breadcrumbs
- 4 Russet Potatoes
- 1 White Onion
- 3 Tbsp. All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 C. Whole Milk
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. Rubbed Sage
- 1 C. Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 1 C. Sharp Cheddar, grated
- 3 Slices Canyon Bakehouse Bread, stale or toasted and grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a 9x12 baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes and onion. Alternating, layer them into the baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a 3qt. stock pot. Whisking, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Continue whisking the butter and flour mixture and slowly add the milk. Add the seasonings and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Once the sauce begins to thicken, fold in the grated cheeses, reserving ½ C. for the top.
- Lifting the layers, pour the sauce onto the potatoes and onions, allowing it to soak in.
- Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil for the last 15-20 minutes to brown the top.