Grilled Halloumi Sandwiches with Fig Jam
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Yellow Onions, mandolin sliced in 1/8-inch rings
4 Canyon Bakehouse Buns
8-oz. Halloumi Cheese, cut into four slabs, ½-inch thick
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
½ Lemon, cut lengthwise, seeds removed
- Heat 3 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place two sliced onions in a thin layer on the bottom of the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Cover the onions, reduce heat to low, and cook for about 30minutes, stirring occasionally. Once caramelized, transfer to a dish to cool.
- Wipe the skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Dry the surfaces of the cheese slices and place them in the pan. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Squeeze lemon over each slice and remove the pan from the heat.
- Spread the bottom half of each bun with fig jam and place the fried halloumi slices on top. Add caramelized onions and fresh arugula before placing the tops of the buns.
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 35 min