French Onion Grilled Cheese with Au Jus
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Yellow Onions, sliced in ¼ inch rings
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
¼ Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, minced
Splash of Red Wine Vinegar
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 C. Beef or Vegetable Broth
Salt, to taste
4 Slices Canyon Bakehouse Heritage Honey White Bread
2 Caramelized Onions (see above)
6 oz. Gruyere Cheese, finely grated
- Heat 3 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place two sliced onions in a thin layer on the bottom of the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Cover the onions, reduce heat to low, and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once caramelized, transfer the onions to a dish to cool.
- To make the au jus, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in the skillet over medium heat and add the chopped quarter onion. Sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of red wine vinegar and allow it to reduce, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about two minutes more.
- Butter the outsides of each slice of bread and assemble the sandwiches with caramelized onions and grated cheese.
- Place a skillet over medium-low heat. Working one at a time, grill the sandwiches on each side until the bread is just golden and the cheese is melted.
- Strain the warm au jus into four small bowls and serve alongside each grilled sandwich.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes