EASY FRENCH ONION SOUP
6 C. Thinly Sliced Yellow Onions
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
¼ C. Water
3 C. Chicken Broth
2 Sprigs Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
2 Canyon Bakehouse Honey Whole Grain Muffins, halved
3 oz. Gruyère cheese, sliced
- Place the sliced onions in a large glass bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste before cooking in the microwave for 10 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a 3 qt. stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until golden, stirring intermittently.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine red wine vinegar and water. Stirring to lift any browned bits, pour the mixture into the pot.
- Cook the onion mixture for two more minutes before adding the broth, thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the English muffin halves with gruyere cheese and fresh thyme leaves, if desired. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the edges are browned, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with toasted English Muffin Halves.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 25 min