Croque Madam with Egg on English Muffin
4 Canyon Bakehouse Honey Whole Grain English Muffins, halved and lightly toasted
½ C. Bechamel Sauce (see below)
¼ C. Dijon Mustard
8 oz. Thickly Sliced Ham
8 oz. Fontina, grated
4 Fried Eggs
¼ C. Butter
¼ C. Gluten-Free All-purpose flour
2 C. Whole Milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste
¼ tsp. Ground Nutmeg
½ C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- To make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter begins to bubble, whisk the flour into the pan and form a roux. Season salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisking, slowly add the milk, ½ C. at a time.
- Once the sauce has thickened, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat.
- Stir the nutmeg and parmesan cheese into the sauce and set aside to cool slightly.
- Arrange the toasted English muffins on a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Spread one side of each muffin with 1 Tbsp. bechamel sauce and the other side with Dijon mustard.
- Place 1 oz. shredded cheese on top of each side with bechamel and 2 oz. of ham on each side with Dijon. Sandwich the halves together.
- Spread the tops of the sandwiched muffins with 1 Tbsp. bechamel sauce and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Return them to the baking sheet and place them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until tops are golden and bubbly.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg to serve.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 10 min