Chicken Apple Sausage Dogs with Caramelized Onions and Pickled Mustard Seeds
¾ C. White Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp Cane Sugar
½ C. Mustard Seeds
Pickled Mustard Seeds
1 Red Onion, cut into ½ inch rings
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Kosher Salt, to taste
Caramelized Red Onions
4 Pre-cooked Chicken Apple Sausages
4 Canyon Bakehouse Sub Rolls
Fresh Herbs, for garnish
- To make the pickled mustard seeds, combine the vinegar, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place the seeds in a small, lidded jar and pour the vinegar mixture over top. Seal the lid and set aside to cool at room temperature for 1-2 hours. Refrigerate excess for up to two weeks.
- To caramelize the onions, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the onion rings flat on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and gently flip to coat. Season with kosher salt and roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping half-way through.
- Once the onions are browned and crisp at the edges, remove from the oven and transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
- Bring a pot of water to a low boil. Add the sausages and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat an oiled grill pan over medium heat. Toast the buns and set them aside.
- Once the sausages are plump but not split, drain (tap off excess water to avoid splatters) and transfer them to the heated grill pan.
- Nestle the sausage dogs into the toasted buns. Dress with caramelized onions and pickled mustard seeds.
- Garnish with fresh herbs to serve.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 25 min