BROCCOLI, HAM & CHEDDAR SOUP WITH CROUTONS
¼ C. Butter
2 C. Broccoli Florets, lightly steamed
1 C. Grated Carrot
3-4 Scallions, chopped
4 C. Chicken or Vegetable Broth
6 cups whole milk
About 2 cups of diced ham
1 Batch Creamy Cheese (see below), chilled and cubed
Gluten-free Croutons (see below)
1 C. of water
¼ oz. Gelatin
1/3 C. Dried Milk
¼ tsp. Salt
4 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 loaf Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread, cubed
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Flaked Sea Salt
¼ C. Fresh Grated Parmesan (optional)
*Make the creamy cheese and chill for 3-4 hours or up to one week in advance. Alternatively, a store-bought version, such as 1 lb. Velveeta may be used.
- Line 2-3 mini-bread loaf pans with parchment or plastic wrap.
- In a 2 qt. saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Pulse the gelatin, dry milk and salt in a blender.
- Turn the blender speed to low. With a vented lid in place, carefully pour in the hot water. Add the shredded cheese and continue to blend until smooth.
- Pour the creamy cheese into the prepared pans. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Arrange the cubed bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Toss with olive oil and parmesan (if using).
- Place the croutons in the oven under a broiler to toast. Rotate the croutons every 1-2 minutes, until all sides are brown. Set aside.
- Begin making the soup by melting the butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped scallions and grated carrot to the melted butter and sauté until softened.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth to the sautéed vegetables and then add the milk. Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Add the ham and cubed creamy cheese to the soup. Stir intermittently until the cheese is melted and fully incorporated.
- To serve, ladle the soup into serving bowls and top them with croutons.
Prep: 25 min plus chill time
Cook: 25 min