Gluten-Free Sausage Strata
Recipe created by Jennifer Harris
- 4 slices Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White or 7-Grain gluten-free bread, chopped small
- 1 ½ c. eggs (add a drop or two of water)
- 1 lb. sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 c. cheese, shredded (if using vegan cheese, decrease milk by ¼ cup)
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 ½ c. milk (milk substitute)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Spray 13×9 pan baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer the bread until it covers the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, ½ cup of cheese, salt and pepper. Blend until frothy. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread. Next, add in the onions followed by the cooked sausage. Top with additional shredded and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Let stand ten minutes before serving. Serves 12.
Chopped tomatoes, spinach, and broccoli also work very well in the strata. When picking out gluten-free bread, choose plain bread (white or whole grain) and stay away from breads with a robust flavor because they tend to overpower the other ingredients.
This breakfast recipe is easy to convert to dairy free by substituting coconut milk and vegan cheese. I have found that vegan cheeses add moisture to the dish, so be sure to decrease the milk by ¼ cup for best results.
This recipe can be made the night before and baked the next morning. It serves 12 and goes well with a side of freshly chopped fruit, yogurt with granola, or hash browns.
For more gluten-free tips and help eating a gluten-free diet, visit Jennifer’s website at www.gfgotoguide.com.