Black Forest Ham & Cheese Sandwiches with Homemade Apple Butter
6 lbs. Apples, cored and chopped
¼ C. Apple Cider
½ C. Brown Sugar
½ C. Cane Sugar
1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
½ tsp. Ground Nutmeg (optional)
¼ tsp. Ground Clove (optional)
Pinch of Salt
3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Homemade Apple Butter
2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
3 Tbsp. Homemade Apple Butter (see above)
6 oz. Black Forest Ham
2 oz. Sliced Sharp White Cheddar
2 Canyon Bakehouse Honey Whole Grain English Muffins, lightly toasted
Ham & Cheese Sandwich
- Add all apple butter ingredients to a crockpot and allow them to cook at the standard setting for 10 hours.
- To thicken the batch, remove the lid from the crockpot for the last 1-2 hours of cooking.
- Work in batches to blend the mixture in a traditional blender or use an immersion blender.
- Fill 3-4 lidded quart jars with the apple sauce. Refrigerate for 2-3 weeks or freeze for several months.
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 10 hours
Yield: 3-4 quarts
- Spread one half of each lightly toasted English muffin with Dijon mustard.
- Top the Dijon with sliced ham and cheddar. Place under the broiler for about 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Spread the remaining English muffin halves with homemade apple butter and place face-down over the ham and melted cheese.
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 2 min