APPLE PIE BREAD PUDDING WITH VANILLA CREAM SAUCE
1 C. Milk
1 C. Heavy Cream
1 Vanilla Bean, pulp scraped and reserved
½ C. Cane Sugar
5 Egg Yolks
VANILLA CREAM SAUCE
1/3 C. Butter, divided
3 C. Green Apples, peeled, and thinly sliced
¾ C. Cane Sugar, divided
½ C. Golden Raisins
1 Loaf Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Bread, Cubed
2 C. Whole Milk
3 Eggs, whisked
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
½ tsp. Cinnamon or Apple Pie Spice Blend
- Start the cream sauce by combining the milk, heavy cream, vanilla pulp, sugar and egg yolks in a saucepan. Whisking constantly, bring the mixture to a low simmer and allow it to thicken slightly.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve. Allow it to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes and then chill it until the pudding is baked.
- Prepare a 9×11 baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the apples and sauté until slightly browned. Add ¼ C. cane sugar and cook 1-2 minutes to caramelize.
- Add the golden raisins and remaining butter. Stir until the butter is melted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Toss the cubed bread with the apple mixture and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and remaining sugar, whisking until the mixture begins to steam and thicken.
- Temper the eggs by slowly adding 1 C. of the hot milk mixture while whisking constantly.
- Stir the tempered eggs into the hot milk mixture along with the vanilla and cinnamon or apple pie spice blend. Pour over the tossed bread mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the bread pudding for 35-40 minutes until brown on top. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of vanilla cream sauce.