Baked Onion Blossom
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 5 Slices Canyon Bakehouse Bread, dried
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- ½ tsp. Dried Parsley Flakes
- ½ tsp. Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp. Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- ½ C. Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 1 tsp. Horseradish Sauce
- 1/8 tsp. Paprika
- 1/8 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Oregano
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the outer skin of the onion and, leaving the root intact, cut the top off.
- Place the cut surface of the onion down on a cutting board. Beginning ½ inch from the root, make 12 cuts, straight down and evenly spaced around the onion.
- Flip the onion over and gently open the petals.
- Place the dried bread slices into a high-powered blender and pulse. Add the remaining ingredients for the seasoned breadcrumbs and blend until fine.
- Starting from the bottom and working quickly, brush each petal with the whisked egg and sprinkle with the seasoned breadcrumbs until the entire onion is coated.
- Place aluminum foil loosely over the onion, securing the edges. Bake for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes until edges are just browned.
- Clean the blender and place all of the ingredients for the dipping sauce inside. Blend until smooth.
- Serve the onion intact, to be eaten petal by petal with dipping sauce on the side.